24 June 2013

The Face of EdTech

The Internet has allowed anyone with a connection to establish relationships all over the world. Even astronauts tweet! There is a social media buffet that stretches beyond the most impressive Las Vegas spread. If you want to be connected, you will be. I have been able to get blogging advice from +Kyle Pace, read Roxaboxen to +Amanda Marrinan's class, and get ADHD classroom strategies from +Kelly Jurkowski through virtual conversations. So why then, if the world wide web is so connected, do we even need an ISTE conference?

It's quite simple, really. Behind ever connected device is a person. Devices connect. People provide the energy to run the connections.

Even the most amazing technology in the word -- facial recognition, virtual simulations -- do not replace the human laugh, tears, or hug. Technology is amazing! I love watching my toddler handle the iPad like a whiz. (She even carries it properly!) My smile extended from ear-to-ear each time my eleven-year old son called to excitedly describe his latest creation with Minecraft. (I allowed him to download the iPad app just as I was loading up for this year's conference.) However, if possible, I would rather look into someone's eyes rather than through a computer monitor. 

And this, my friends, is why we should not be scared. Technology will not replace teachers. Technology frees time-consuming tasks so that teachers can have human interaction, conversations, and one-on-one moments with their students. Technology can open access to worlds even the most impressive library can't touch. However, teachers can gauge mood, sense fear, and offer the appropriate remedy or encouragement. Smart does not equal heart.

The ISTE conference provides me with information, ideas, connections, and energy to plot my next great educational adventure. Each year, I look to this late-June gathering to renew my beliefs about education and its possibilities. Sure, I can look up all the great ideas presented by +Dr. Alice Christie, but if given the opportunity to get PD by the Sea? You know what's more valuable. 

So next year, if asked to justify why I think ISTE travel is warranted, it is without question that I can turn to thousands of ISTE conference attendees (past and present) who can offer up reasons why the exhausting days are so important. (I am sure I could also poll all the bummed people I read who post to Twitter about missing out and begging for those in attendance to share the learning.) Yes, +Jane McGonigal is spot on to point out that the person who plays the game reaps the benefits, and I am sure the portraits of ISTE attendees would mimic those of gamers. I want to work/explore/play/grow so that my students "thrive, achieve, and contribute." I teach; I am a personal coder!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure your comments are constructive and kind. Thank you.